Vedic Math enthusiasts from the Philippines garnered a total 35 Gold, 70 Silver and 107 Bronze awards in the 1st International Vedic Mathematics Olympiad (IVMO 2021) held mostly online last Sept 11, 2021.
Based on the results released by James Glover, chair of the Institute for the advancement of Vedic Mathematics, the Filipinos topped 4 of the 5 levels of the Olympiad missing only the 1st place of the Intermediate level and also took 15 of the 19 top places.
Here are the top scorers in each level (the regional coordinators and their center in parentheses):
- Jeremiah Lubiano – Calamba Elementary School, City of Calamba(Adora Leonano, Calamba City); Elysse Tait – Marsha Montessori School, Inc, Cainta Rizal(Teresita Ramilo, Cainta, Rizal)
- Ryu Shealtiel A. Bertoso – Laguna College, San Pablo City, (Angelica Prudente, San Pablo City); Alyana Michaela M. Marquez – Stonyhurst Southville International School -Malarayat Campus,(Angelica Prudente, San Pablo City); Dave Rylan Chavez – Laguna College (Angelica Prudente, San Pablo City).
- Zac Harvey Gordula – Lopez Elementary School, Los Baños, Laguna (Angelica Prudente, San Pablo City);
- Denise Kim Reyes – Angeles City National High School, (Plaridel de la Cruz, San Pablo City); Joanne Kirsten Racelis – Calamba City Science Integrated School (Rico Herrero, Calamba City); Alice Spadaro – Italy (Anna Foglino – Osoppo, Italy)
- Michelle Antonello – Italy (Anna Foglino, Osoppo, Italy)
2) Roan Aleah Palacio – Honorato C. Perez Memorial National High School, Cabanatuan City (Plaridel de la Cruz, San Pablo City)
3) Caryn Chloe Gendrano – Mapua University -SHS, (Angelica Prudente, San Pablo City); Corinth Gale Garcia – Palawan National High School (Ariston Vasquez, Narra, Palawan)
- Ralph Moses Padilla – Panabo City National High School, Davao Del Norte, (Angelica Prudente, San Pablo City); Akshata Pawargi – England(James Glover, London, England).
- Phylline Calubayan – BHC Educational Institution, Inc., San Fernando, La Union (Heather Banagui, Benguet).
- Rob Christian Cabuyac – UP Los Baños, (Angelica Prudente, San Pablo City).
- Christopher So – Philippines (Angelica Prudente, San Pablo City).
- Nidhi – India (Anand Prabha, Jalandhar City, India)
A total of 474 participants from more than 30 regional centers in 11 countries joined IVMO 2021. By fielding about 350 or almost 75 % of the contestants, the Philippines is now recognized as a center of Vedic Math education in the world.
Thanks to the efforts of our Regional Coordinators: Ginalyn Broquesa, Adora Leonano, Leilanie Fortu, Eva Babida, Gloria Louella Romero, Helen Urbina, Bryan Anthony Sario and Rico Herrero of Calamba City, Anna Lee Gacusan and Ariston Vasquez of Narra Palawan, Heather Banagui of Benguet, Chard Aye Alova of Negros Occidental, Myrna Lazaro of Santa Cruz, Laguna, Plaridel de la Cruz of San Pablo city, Jocelyn Marino of Quezon, Victoria Dimasin of the City of Meycauayan, Alberto Papalis of the Science City of Muñoz, Teresita Ramilo of Marsha Montessori, Inc and Angelica S. Prudente of MATH-Inic Philipines.
Sir James also acknowledged Zac Harvey Gordula for being the top scorer.
He also previously announced that Regional Coordinators Angelica Prudente of MATH-Inic Philippines and Jocelyn Marino of the Division of Quezon had the most number of participants with 80 and 62 respectively.